I cannot recall ever eating a parsnip before, though I'm sure I have at some point, but recently they caught my eye at the grocery and I felt an inexplicable need to experiment. A bag of turnips were casually hanging out next to the parsnips so I picked those up as well for good measure. They are both earthy vegetables that seem just perfect for hearty fall and winter dinners. I have read that parsnips contain roughly three times as much vitamin c over carrots, but they are a starchy carb veg so be careful in that respect. Turnips are also high in vitamin c, as well as high in fiber, calcium and potassium.
The first round of experimentation occurred last night, and quite successfully. I made a Lentil/Veggie pie with a puff pastry top. I basically threw carrots, parsnips, turnips, celery, onion garlic and tomatoes all in a pot to cook together, then added some dry red wine and cooked lentils; tossed it in a baking dish and slapped on the puff pastry topper. After baking to a golden brown Jason & I were rewarded with a comforting, savory, and healthy dinner. Yum!
After last nights success, I am inspired to take it up a notch. Next on the list are Scalloped Turnips (doesn't butter & cream make anything taste good?!), and Pureed Roasted Parsnips, which appear to be a lot like mashed potatoes, except only more nutty and earthy, so if my fondness for potatoes is any indication I will adore these.

That dinner sounds yummy!
ReplyDelete