Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'll be at the bar

Fresh snow is capping the beautiful LaPlata mountains, and everyone is anticipating the upcoming ski season, except for me. The very thought of strapping on ski boots makes my stomach flip flop. My palms are sweating just thinking about it.

I am a born and bred Texas girl, so snow is not really something I am familiar with (yes, I was a ski virgin), but last winter I mustered all my courage and signed up for ski school. After many exhausting attempts I decided that "Ski school" must be another word for hell in some other language. That day was quite possibly one of the worst days I have experienced ever. I did like the lifts however, it was a nice, scenic ride, until I realized that I had to go down the hill and face my death.

Perhaps it is my natural clumsiness, or a lack of confidence that defeated me. The worst part was that my husband apparently is quite natural at skiing. So, the second half of the day myself and one other person, thank goodness I was not alone, were removed from our group, and placed into what appeared to be the "skiing challenged" group, which unfortunately also looked eerily similar to an all girls cast of High School Musical, uggh. I waved goodbye to my husband as he moved on to bigger and better slopes, leaving me to flounder helplessly by myself.

At some point the instructor of the "skiing challenged" group gave up on us all. It was pretty much a free for all fall down the mountain event. My personal running joke is that I am an expert at standing back up, which unfortunately I pretty much am. So, after several hours of watching 2, 3, & 4 year old kids whiz by me as if I were decrepit, when the only other adult in the group turned to me and asked about a shot of tequila, I caved. I was so exhausted anyway, I collapsed on a bench and called it a day.

I am not really sure that I want to try that all over again. I am great with sports on level ground, maybe I'll stick to those. I also think, I will be perfectly happy sitting cozily at the bar at the bottom of the slopes, giving the occasional encouragement to my husband whenever he glides back down from whence he came. Yeah, I can deal with that.

2 comments:

  1. So next time David gets the urge to barrel down the mountain with a sheet of plastic strapped to his feet, we should go visit you guys, so I can keep you company at the bar...I'm am not doing ski school again!

    ReplyDelete