I also have survived 30 with only minor bumps and bruises. I was initiated into the wonderful world of sledding as one of my birthday activities, and it was a blast! We took it on full force toboggan style. Silly us though, we were all wearing jeans and I ended up soaked to the bone. Cocoa break to the rescue! After warming up we took it down an notch and headed over to the city park to sled with all of the 4 yr. olds., which was much more my speed. We still crashed, but thankfully no kids were injured in the process, only my tailbone.
I know we are all working on resolutions, and getting fit in the new year, (especially trying to work off all of those delicious holiday goodies) but if you get tired of that Pussy Cat Dolls workout video, and just need to treat yourself & a few friends, I've got a sinfully decadent Chocolate Cake recipe that will impress at any dinner, party, or night at home with your loved one. It only looks like a lot of work, and I promise I won't tell your trainer if you have more than one slice.
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Ganache
1 cup butter
8 ounces semi sweet chocolate (I used the Bakers squares)
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1/3 cup Kahlua (you can also use orange juice or any other flavored liqueur)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt the butter & chocolate in a double boiler (I just use a bowl fit inside of a sauce pan of slightly boiling water). Be sure to heat the chocolate slowly and stir often so it doesn't burn.
While the chocolate is melting, combine the cocoa powder and the sugar. In a smaller bowl beat the eggs and Kahlua together, add the mixture to the cocoa powder & sugar. Gradually stir in the melted chocolate mixture, and whisk until smooth.
Pour into an 8" springform pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 1 hour. Let cool at least 20 mins. before coating with ganache.
Ganache
6 ounces semi sweet chocolate (use quality chocolate, squares will work better than chips)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tbs. Kahlua (or other liqueur)
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
Melt first 3 ingredients over medium/low heat stirring often until all of the chocolate is melted, and has a glossy appearance. Allow the mixture to cool about 2 mins., then pour over the top of the cake. The ganache should spill over the edges; use a spoon to even out the ganache on top and push excess over the sides to create a "dripping" effect. Top with the toasted pecans. The ganache will set in about an hour.
**note for all my mountain dwelling friends, this recipe will work well for both low & high altitudes, so no adjustments necessary

That cake looks amazing! Thanks for posting the recipe - I'll have to try it out on David.
ReplyDeleteI'm sooooooo making that cake! Probably before the baby comes, that way I have an excuse to devour it.
ReplyDeleteSledding!! Im so jealous!! You should see it down here right now, the city is preparing for a "hard freeze" we will be below 32 degrees for about 20 hrs and the entire city is freaking out. all the heaters and hot cocoa are sold out everywhere, it's pretty funny :) the cake looks delish by the way!!
ReplyDelete