Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beware of Turnips

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I have been experimenting with unusual winter veggies. As part of my investigations I decided to make Scalloped Turnips. I know most people aren't a fan of turnips, they can be pretty bitter, but I figured with butter, cream, and cheese how could they be bad?

I had already received the "unconvinced" look and round of questioning from Jason regarding this particular supper. From his point of view it would seem that I was going to make him eat a giant lump of bitter goo, and nothing more. Nay nay, give me credit darling! I warmed him up with offers of cube steak, homemade gravy, and a nice salad, then began my little mission.

So, I prepared the dish with loving care, and popped it in the oven. While waiting (these babies take a while to do their thing), I decided to flip through one of the local Wednesday papers that comes in the mail. This publication likes to print "Humorscopes" rather than horoscopes, which are generally quite funny. To my delight and surprise Capricorn read simply "Beware of Turnips"!!! I burst into uncontrollable laughter and fell out of my chair. When Jason discovered the source of my outburst I think he was a little frightened, but he gave a little laugh, too. Of all the random coincidences, really, this was too funny.

I am happy to report that neither of us experienced any negative or horrific side effects from eating the turnips. In fact, they were quite good. Sorry "humorscope", you shouldn't give these root dwellers such a bad rap, but it was good for laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment